Thursday, June 16, 2011

Act II Thankful for my Daddy

Hey!  Hope you had a great week and are looking forward to Father’s Day.  Its been quite a time at my home.  The pool is finally up!  I truly think my kids think I can do anything.  That was hard work and I don’t think I will ever take that thing down!

I’ve been thinking about what I’m thankful for this week. Since Father’s Day is approaching pretty quickly, I’ve been thinking about my parents. 

My dad was kinda tall with short red hair that was in the same style since I was born, and red freckles all over him!  He had a deep singing voice, was super funny, and a little sarcastic, a bit bossy, full of love for his family, and he was a recovering alcoholic when he died.  He was a helper and very generous with his time and money when he had it to spare.  He loved people and when I was a little girl, I remember him talking to everyone!  He loved to write poems to my mother. 

For the last ten years of his life he lived sober.   This was a special treat for me because I was just beginning my married life and had a little girl.  If he loved you, he’d say it.  If you pissed him off, he’d say it.  He was an in-your-face, tell-it-like-it-is kinda man.  I could also count on him to stand up for me.  Once he told my 2nd husband, “Jennifer’s mamma met me at the door one day.  She had a lunch box in one hand, and a suitcase in the other. She told me to get a job or get out!”  Now, I know that wasn’t true, but it sure was funny.  He was a smart man with common sense.   

Most people called him Red even though he had a brother with that nickname, too. My grandma (mom’s mom) said, “Your fathers such a great guy when he’s not drinking.”  He was a sponsor in AA and very involved in the program. There were a large number of folks at his memorial service, and I think most were from AA.  I didn’t know until I was about 22 that he was such a great guy.  He died when I was about 31. 

I am thankful that I had 10 years with him while he was sober to watch him love my mom (even though they were divorced 15 years); watched him interact with my daughters, heard him tell his friends he loved them, heard the pleasure in his voice when he heard the name of my 2nd daughter.  I saw his anguish when my mother died and the way he died with dignity and sobriety. I’m thankful that I had the nickname of “Papa-snoot” when I was little (I never did find out what that meant.)  He was a multi-talented man who valued family, integrity, and good friendships.  Yeah, he was a good guy.  And I miss him terribly.  

Happy Father’s Day

No comments:

Post a Comment