Friday, July 15, 2011

Thankful IN all circumstances

Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live. 
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 MSG  


Another version:


Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. ESV


This is a tough thing to do here.  Really?  No matter what??  All the TIME?  Thankful no matter what happens?  Wow.  I don't do this; in fact, I miserably fall short.  Now, I get to this, but its not the first thing I do.  


My first impulse at trouble is to hold my breath.  Do you do that?  I'll walk about the house and realize I need to take a deep breath and let it OUT!  The second thing is probably run a list through my mind with how I can fix it.  Sometimes, I can't.  THEN, I let God in on the circumstance. This is wrong, but oh so human.  Hmm.  


This isn't a writing of what to do, but just you're not alone. My take on this verse:



  • Have a happy demeanor always - I have little control over many things. What a relief!  That lightens my load quite a bit!
  • Be in communication with God always. I had a friend who would talk to God about her shopping habits!  He DOES care about every aspect of our lives.  Its ok to bother Him.  We're His kids.
  • Be thankful IN the circumstance. We don't have to thankful FOR the circumstance.  I certainly wasn't thankful when my mom died in her sleep unexpectedly. Hindsight is 20/20 - I am thankful that through that unfortunate circumstance, I have closer relationship with God and I had a real heart change and soul growth.  Maybe we can be temporarily upset, but know that God is in control and thank Him for the good that will come out of it.  

Don't let anyone steal your joy.  I love Angela Thomas Pharr and she says when bad things happen to remember that Jesus is STILL on the throne!  

No comments:

Post a Comment