Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thankful for Hope

I’ve been financially challenged these past 2 weeks – more than usual.  But I still have some change to jingle.  I just have to not let any emergencies happen. HA!  Like I’m in control of something, right?  I know better.

I was walking downtown during the work hours the other day, and I saw a man leaned up against a building with a box in front of him labeled “spare change”, with his hands clasped and his eyes closed.  As I walked past, God/Holy Spirit started talking to me about buying him a hotdog (as I past the hotdog vendor). This conversation went like this: Me: “That’s all I have in my pocket - $2 - and where is next $2 going to come from?”  God: “You get paid on Friday, that guy doesn’t. How do you know he wasn’t just praying for food?  I’m trying to use you, Jennifer.” So, I spun back around, and found out that the street vendor was out of food, but had a cold soda – so I bought one and gave it to the guy.  I feel better when I listen to God. He would’ve nagged at me all day if I didn’t at least try. 

The next day, I was driving to the bus stop thinking about how bad things are for a lot of people right now – not just me.  A lot of folks have it worse than me.  A lot.   There’s cancer, death, injuries that have caused disability, no job….just lots.  But I have Hope.  God tells me that he cares for me.  I’m His kid. And like most good parents, He’s going to take care of me - usually, through His people. 

Sometimes, when I say things that I know are true about God out loud, I feel like it sounds science fiction.  I have non-believing friends that I’m sure think I’m silly.  But I have Hope in Christ that things that happen are for a purpose down the road that I don’t know about yet.  That I’ll see my parents and other family again someday when I go to Heaven (I’m sure about that, too).  I have Hope that a miracle He shows me in my life, will bless someone else. I have Hope that things are not going to stay like this. I have to believe that in order to make it through each day.

I started to imagine me without that Hope. How I would feel, cope, manage?  Man, I would be a nut job. Depressed?  Certainly.  Angry?  Possibly. Suicidal? I hope not.  Definitely despondent - without hope that things would get better.  Stuck. 

This song came on this morning by Matthew West.  It says it all. 


 I’m thankful for the Hope I have in Christ.  You can get that Hope too. Just ask.  Things aren’t always going to be this bad. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment